Don’t Forget: the Hamfest is on Sunday, September 10 at the fairgrounds in Ballston Spa. I am attaching a Saratoga County Amateur Radio Association HAMFEST 2017 Poster in case you have an opportunity to distribute it to our fellow hams.
Also, in conjunction with the hamfest is a VE test session. Here are a few notes to pass along to anyone who is wishing to take a test:
Test Session requirements
If you are going to take a test session for either a new or upgraded ham license, here are a few things you MUST bring along:
- A copy of your current FCC license. We need to attach the license copy to the paperwork when you upgrade. If you a new licensee, you have a few options. The FCC form 605 requires an FRN or an SSN. You can obtain an FRN before the exam session by visiting the FCC Universal Licensing System website. You simply apply for the FRN online, and you will have it with you when you come to the test session.
- Another form of ID, a driver’s license is great, or any other form of ID. If you don’t have a driver’s license, (perhaps you are too young for the DMV) the ARRL suggests something as simple as a library card, or even a piece of mail addressed to you at your residence.
- A pen and pencil (with a good eraser). The pen is for filling out the FCC form 605, and the pencil is to fill out the bubble answer sheet.
- The proper testing fee. Currently, it is $15.
- Your WITS. It is not a hard exam, so don’t get too anxious about it.
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the exam start time in order to fill out the paperwork, and for the VE’s (Volunteer Examiners) to review it.
Another thing to bear in mind is that for many of the testing sessions, the VE will have alternate versions of the various exam elements available for you to try a retake of the exam. If you do desire to take an alternate version, we must you charge you an additional testing fee.
If you DO NOT NEED to take any alternate versions, you may take the next higher level of exam for NO additional costs. For example, if you take and pass the Technician exam, you may take the General exam if you so desire, and there will be no additional fees. I have witnessed a few people who have come into the session unlicensed, and walk away with the Extra Class license.